Thursday, December 31, 2009

Eve and Day Bowl Game Picks

Games like the Holiday Bowl are why I could never make a living picking spreads. Not only did Arizona not cover, they made their fans suffer through a 33-0 shellacking in the pouring rain. Having done the same thing before, UF at FSU 2008, my heart goes out to the Wildcats fans. You pay all this money and travel and your team gets crushed. Anyway, after last night's game, I stand 2-3 against the spread and 1-4 picking the winners. Anyway, its time for the best day of the year (I know I say that a lot but I just love sports that much).

Armed Forces Bowl - Air Force vs Houston (-5) - I think Houston covers and wins. Case Keenum and company will put up a ton of points for the Cougars to cover and win.

Sun Bowl - Oklahoma (-10) vs Stanford - Which Sooner team is going to show up? Landry Jones has been lights out in some games (see Texas A&M) and can't find receivers in others (see Texas Tech). Stanford will be relying on Heisman runner-up Toby Gerhart the nations leading rusher a little more with QB Andrew Luck out. However, the Sooner D will be pumped to stop him. Oklahoma covers and wins.

Texas Bowl - Navy vs Missouri (-6 1/2) - I think Missouri wins but I think Navy loses by less than a touchdown.

Insight Bowl - Iowa State vs Minnesota (-2) - this should actually be a pretty good matchup. However, its broadcast on the NFL Network so many of us won't be able to watch. Either way, Minnesota covers and wins.

Chick-Fil-A Bowl - Virginia Tech (-5 1/2) vs Tennessee - the Hokies end their season where it began in the Georgia Dome against an SEC opponent. However, the Volunteers aren't Alabama. The Hokies will win and cover the spread. You should watch this game even if you aren't interested in either team just to see Volunteer Safety Eric Berry. The junior won the Thorpe Award as college football's best defensive back and this may be his last college game before he starts playing on Sundays. He's a sure first round pick.

Outback Bowl - Northwestern vs Auburn (-8) - Auburn has a great offense, scores a lot, wins and covers.

Gator Bowl - FSU vs West Virginia (-2 1/2) - there is no way I'm picking against my team. FSU sends Bobby, Mickey and the rest of the gang out in style.

Capital One Bowl - LSU vs Penn State (-2) - I'm not sure what to make of LSU. I like their defense but don't like their offense. So Penn State wins and covers.

Rose Bowl - Oregon (-4) vs Ohio State - I keep thinking that if Jeremiah Masoli goes off in this game, will Terrelle Pryor wonder what life would have been like in Chip Kelly's spread option offense? Either way, the Buckeyes really need a win in this one but I don't think they get it. Oregon will take advantage with Masoli and LaMichael James running wild over the Buckeye defense. Oregon wins but Ohio State covers.

Sugar Bowl - Florida (-12 1/2) vs Cincinnati - Call this the distracted bowl. Florida has been dealing with guys looking to the NFL and with their coach unsure if he can keep coaching. The Bearcats lost their coach and are dealing with not making the championship game. I'm still going with Florida. Are you telling me Tebow is going to let his team lose in his last game as a Gator?

More picks coming tomorrow.

No comments: